Client Boot problem

Shishir Jha shishirjh at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 06:14:30 BST 2007

Hello to all,
We recently acquired some old second hand but refurbished PIII from one of
the Non-Govermental Organisation for establishing a LTSP lab at one of the
teacher's training lab. Now the problem is though the client boot from the
floppy and Hard Disk easily using ROM Images, but when we tried to boot the
client using the BootROM on the NIC it refuses to boot, there is no
indication of the Bootloader being loaded in the NIC. Now when we use the
same NIC to boot relatively newer Board like Intel 865 and 915 the same NIC
boots fabulously and searches for the DHCP Server. Due to this we have run
into trouble as we had vowed to disk and floppy less clients for the Lab.
Though we could get HDD for the clients, we are now facing a budget
constraint as the money was used to buy BootROM for the NIC rather than
Second hand Hard Disks to boot the client.

So If anybody can help me with any info about how to boot these clients
using the BOOTROM I could be really glad, the specification of the client is
as follows,

1. P3 667 - 1000 Mhz, 128 MB Ram, Intel 815 board
2. Award BIOS dated 2000 with an option for boot from LAN
3. Realtek 8139 with EPROM as BOOTROM, ROM images downloaded from
rom-o-matic.com

I was thinking of updating the BIOS to make the NIC's boot but seems to be
far fetched idea, if anybody can direct me to some good documentation for
that then it could be good too.

Thank you in advance for any help.

--
Shishir Jha