Feisty vs Dapper

David Trask dtrask at vcsvikings.org
Sun Oct 7 03:47:41 BST 2007

Rehan Afzal <rehanafzal at yahoo.com> writes:
>I have been usign Feisty for over a week now and I ma sick of its
>instabilities !
>
>Laptops hang (especially if they are shut down improperly ! ) You have to
>reinstall the whole thing ! Yeah they are dells !

Funny....mine works fine....I'm using Feisty on an old Dell C610, an HP
ZV5000, and an Apple MacBook Pro....all work fine for me.  (with virtually
no tweaking at all)  You might look to see if there is a BIOS update out
there for your Dell....what model are you using?  Speaking of Dells and
Feisty....Michael Dell, the CEO and founder of Dell runs Feisty on his own
laptop.

>I also have an AMD Server and I cant shut it down ( except hard power off
>).
>
>I am beign told that Dapper is more stable and all thebugs have been
>sorted out !

Well....kinda' sorta'....it older, thus there has been more time to sort
out the problems, but in the real world it's probably just as buggy as
anything else.  It is a long term support release thus it's designed with
that in mind.

>Feisty / Gusty are just Canonical's obsessions ( of launching a version
>every  months; whether they are bugfree or not ).

Obsessions?  First of all, there is no such thing as a bug-free release of
ANYTHING....not of Apple, not of Windows, not of Linux.  There are always
bugs.  As for launching versions every six months....I think this is an
awesome way to do things....keeps things fresh and innovative.  No one
said you had to upgrade!  If you prefer Dapper....then stick with it,
after all that's what Linux and Open Source is all about....you can do
whatever you want.