Some Advice needed on cloning a Server

jbarry jbgonzaga at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 07:15:32 BST 2007

Hello Guys!

First of all thanks the flash based webpages have sound now.

I was investigating the hanging programs, but i am still at loss.

I started my focus on gcompris since it seems to the most in need by
the school preschoolers and Grades 1 - 3. (some faculty members are
suggesting we go windows since they have an educational program at
home that maybe used, I declined saying we have some good programs in
linux also, and that we can't install pirated software.)

I observed that only about 12 clients can run gcompris reasonably
while the others would crawl, the server would also run so slowly.
watching htop on the server the memory consumption would reach about
1600 mb (not yet eating swap) but the two processors would maintain
100%

watching xrestop on the clients (i'm not so good at using it yet) for
the clients that can run gcompris the pixmap memory is very low, while
I can not observe xrestop on the hanging computers since they would
not respond anymore to my keystrokes.

as for the xsession-error I cannot get a sense it any of it, I copied
these are hoping that they  maybe of some relevance.

** (process:2320): WARNING **: config_file /home/guest04/.gcompris/gcompris.conf

** (process:2320): WARNING **: Binary relocation disabled
** Message: gc_locale_set ''

** (gcompris:2320): WARNING **: Requested locale '' got 'en_US.UTF-8'
package_data_dir         = /usr/share/gcompris/boards
package_locale_dir       = /usr/share/locale
package_plugin_dir       = /usr/lib/gcompris
package_python_plugin_dir= /usr/share/gcompris/python
X Error: BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input device 167
  Major opcode:  144
  Minor opcode:  3
  Resource id:  0x0
Failed to open device
X Error: BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input device 167
  Major opcode:  144
  Minor opcode:  3
  Resource id:  0x0
Failed to open device
DCOPClient::attachInternal. Attach failed Could not open network socket
X Error: BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input device 167
  Major opcode:  144
  Minor opcode:  3
  Resource id:  0x0
Failed to open device
X Error: BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input device 167
  Major opcode:  144
  Minor opcode:  3
  Resource id:  0x0
Failed to open device
kbuildsycoca running...
X Error: BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input device 167
  Major opcode:  144
  Minor opcode:  3
  Resource id:  0x0
Failed to open device
X Error: BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input device 167
  Major opcode:  144
  Minor opcode:  3
  Resource id:  0x0
Failed to open device
X Error: BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input device 167
  Major opcode:  144
  Minor opcode:  3
  Resource id:  0x0
Failed to open device
X Error: BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input device 167
  Major opcode:  144
  Minor opcode:  3
  Resource id:  0x0
Failed to open device

** (process:16575): WARNING **: config_file
/home/guest04/.gcompris/gcompris.conf

** (process:16575): WARNING **: Binary relocation disabled
** Message: gc_locale_set ''

** (gcompris:16575): WARNING **: Requested locale '' got 'en_US.UTF-8'
package_data_dir         = /usr/share/gcompris/boards
package_locale_dir       = /usr/share/locale
package_plugin_dir       = /usr/lib/gcompris
package_python_plugin_dir= /usr/share/gcompris/python
ICE default IO error handler doing an exit(), pid = 10085, errno = 0
The application 'nm-applet' lost its connection to the display localhost:13.0;
most likely the X server was shut down or you killed/destroyed
the application.
The application 'evolution-alarm-notify' lost its connection to the
display localhost:13.0;
most likely the X server was shut down or you killed/destroyed
the application.
Xsession: X session started for guest04 at Tue Oct  2 10:18:39 PHT 2007
SESSION_MANAGER=local/spedhost:/tmp/.ICE-unix/28199

** (update-notifier:28420): WARNING **: not starting because user is
not in admin group

evolution-alarm-notify-Message: Setting timeout for 78073 1191369600 1191291527
evolution-alarm-notify-Message:  Wed Oct  3 08:00:00 2007

evolution-alarm-notify-Message:  Tue Oct  2 10:18:47 2007