authenticating to alternate server

David Trask dtrask at vcsvikings.org
Tue Nov 27 03:56:55 GMT 2007

"Randall Swift" <swift at msad52.org> writes:
>How can I get into the system to check these settings? The server hangs
>during boot at "loading kernel log daemon" and will not go any further.
>Help. Thanks

go into single user mode

To get onto a machine using single user mode, simply reboot it. When the
machine restarts, you should either be put right into the GRUB menu if
it’s a dual boot machine. If it’s not a dual boot machine, you should have
an opportunity to enter the GRUB menu by hitting the ESC key.

Once you’re in the GRUB menu, you’ll have a list of your latest kernels,
and their recovery modes below. You’ll start off on the latest, which is
what you want. Type the ‘e’ key.

This will bring you to a sub-menu. You’ll be on the top selection which is
root (some hard drive info in this space). Use the arrow keys to go down 1
selection to the kernel option. Again, hit the ‘e’ key.

Now you’ll see the command that GRUB will use to start your box. It will
look something like this:

    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.15-26-386 root=/dev/hda1 ro quiet splash

You’ll want to add the word ’single’ to the end so it looks like this:

    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.15-26-386 root=/dev/hda1 ro quiet splash
single

Now hit the enter key once. Then type ‘b’ to boot the machine.

You’ll go through what looks like the normal boot process, but find
yourself suddenly staring not at a graphical user interface, but a command
line. Welcome to being root. What now?

Now go in and have a look around and see if you can find the issue.  I've
emailed Matt to see if he can chime in on this and help out.

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Director
Vassalboro Community School
dtrask at vcsvikings.org