Urgent Help Needed for Gutsy

francois Barillon francois.barillon at free.fr
Mon Nov 19 16:02:37 GMT 2007

Le jeudi 15 novembre 2007 à 17:15 -0800, Butch Arias a écrit :
> I am from the Philippines. Our entire school has been using Edubuntu
> for two years (6.06 LTS and 7.04) on thin clients.  Around 300
> students and 30 teachers have their individual accounts and groups -
> and we never had problems until we upgraded to 7.10.  After the
> upgrade, the thin clients don't boot anymore, and worse, even the
> server's DHCP  could not be located by the workstation clients. We
> checked and rechecked the cables and they were all well.

First you should have a look at dhcpd.conf :
sudo gedit /etc/ltsp/dhcpd.conf

If you can manage the dhcpd working, you can create au default lts.conf

sudo gedit /var/lib/tftpboot/ltsp/i386/lts.conf

[Default]
	X_MODE_0="1024x768"
	X_COLOR_DEPTH=24

#	XKBLAYOUT=fr
#       LDM_DIRECTX=True

I had problem with Gusty and old P3because the default resolution and
depth was too high for the intel i810 graphic card.

> We are planning to reinstall the 7.04 but we need all the student and
> teacher accounts and documents from the server. How are the accounts
> and documents transferred to a new HD if it is desired to have a clean
> installation of Edubuntu? I am afraid that the accounts may get lost
> and the documents become inaccessible considering that permissions for
> folders and documents vary from groups and individual accounts.
It could be a good thing to separate "/" and "/home" so you could update
the system and  preserve users documents.

You will have to backup the content of "/etc" too.

Hope this could help.

François