control of internet access

Asmo Koskinen asmo.koskinen at arkki.info
Sun Nov 11 10:55:19 GMT 2007

Reiner Schmid kirjoitti:
> I use it ,too.
> It is for Feisty, but it is easy to fix for Gutsy.

I do not use dansguardian (in our school is in fact firewall and proxy
behind our gateway), but I think that if we need one (gateway, proxy,
dansguardian, etc) it is much easier setup another server for that than
setup working Edubuntu.

Look for SME Server: http://wiki.contribs.org/SME_Server:Documentation

"The fact that it serves as a "gateway" means it has separate interfaces
with each network, and provides security and routing. "If you configure
your server to operate in server and gateway mode, your server will
require either:

 1. two ethernet adapters (one to communicate with the local network and
the other to communicate with the external network/Internet)"

http://wiki.contribs.org/SME_Server:Documentation:Administration_Manual:Chapter5

Why I think that way?

If you already use Edubuntu with two NIC's, that way you don't have to
mess up with Edubuntu server - you can leave all as it is in
Edubuntu/LTSP environment. You just add one machine between your
Edubuntu/LTSP server and real Internet.

How much that need for another server?

Very basic i586/686-machine do that. You do not need 3D-graphic card or
something.

 "Version 7.0 of SME Server is based on CentOS 4.4 and uses the 2.6
series Linux kernel."

http://wiki.contribs.org/SME_Server:Documentation:Administration_Manual:Chapter4

---

I have lots of howto's (both LTSP 4.2 and LTSP 5, in finnish) and next
one will be Edubuntu 7.10 Classroom (two NICs) AND SME Server (two NICs)
as Internet content filter.

http://wiki.contribs.org/Dansguardian

http://wiki.ubuntu-fi.org/LTSP_Ohjeita

So thank you for asking ;-).