GDM login asks only password on login failure

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Tue Nov 6 13:57:52 GMT 2007

On Tue, Nov 06, 2007 at 10:07:50AM +0000, Gavin McCullagh wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, 06 Nov 2007, Gavin McCullagh wrote:
>
> > Just to be clear, is this problem on an ordinary thin client?  If so, the
> > problem is with LDM not GDM so we need to track down a different issue.

Ah, no wonder I could not find any related configuration.  So, would
it be much of a change to having both username and password fields on
the screen at the same time.  It's helpful to see the username to know
if you need to re-enter the username or just the password.

> I'm not expecting you to necessarily understand what follows, but I'm
> putting it out there so others who do might comment.
>
> In ldm2/ldm.c line 265 we add two lines so it looks like:
>
>     cmd[i++] = "/usr/bin/ssh";
>     cmd[i++] = "-o";    // added temporarily
>     cmd[i++] = "NumberOfPasswordPrompts=1"; // added temporarily
>     cmd[i++] = "-X";

Ok, I'm not at my server yet, but I can give this a try.   I assume
ldm.c is used for the login we are discussing, but where's sshutuils.c
used?  I there a second place where logins are asked?

BTW -- where's the source repository?

--
Bill Moseley
moseley at hank.org