GDM login asks only password on login failure

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Mon Nov 5 19:18:57 GMT 2007

On Mon, Nov 05, 2007 at 08:30:42AM -1000, R. Scott Belford wrote:
> > Our school uses a lot of on-line resources and it's common to need a
> > working flash setup.
>
> Have you used Synaptic, the package manager, to search for flash?  If
> you install nonfree installer, you will have Adobe's flash.  Search for
> j2re and you can install the blackdown java package and the mozilla plugin.

Flash is installed and works mostly.  Videos will stop playing and
there's no audio.  Audio works on the thin clients (I can play all the
test sounds or, say, and .ogg or .mp3 file) in general, but flash
audio does not.  It's like it's not getting routed to the client
correctly like other audio.  (I know nothing of pulseaudio.)

Interestingly, on the server Flash audio works but normal audio
(playing .ogg or the test sounds) does not.

> > And, well, not being able to get our existing "fleet" of old iMacs to
> > boot off the network is kind of a problem, too.
>
> Apparently building a ppc chroot on Edubuntu is not as easy as it was
> with the K12LTSP.  You could boot ppc clients from that platform, but I
> don't know if it is possible with Edubuntu.  Ltsp-build-client --arch
> ppc does not work.

I've heard that about K12LTSP.

With Edubuntu 7.10 I was not able to book the LiveCD on my old iMac
(even an older G4).  I was able to *install* Edubuntu Server on the G4
but then when booting it stopped at the exact same place as the
LiveCD.

I got a newer G4 iBook and was able to boot the Xubuntu Live CD and
installed the thin client environment.

Now, I can press "N" on booting the iBook which starts it in Network
boot mode, and it will get an address from dhcpd, but it doesn't do
the network boot.  I'm not familiar enough with how network booting
to debug.  Maybe I need to spend a few hours with wireshark.

> Yes.  Well, actually the migration to Feisty from K12LTSP and then the
> upgrade from Feisty to Gutsy.  I have put this one class through a
> serious journey of Edubuntu bug-hunting.

Yes, it's going to be hard to convince the school to use LTSP if these
basic problems are not resolved.  It offers a lot of benefits, but
those are not worth much if they can't do at least what was working
in the pas.

A lot of great work has gone into Edubuntu and LTSP and I hate to see
it not get implemented in schools because of these issues.

--
Bill Moseley
moseley at hank.org