Sound configuration

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Sun Nov 4 20:57:13 GMT 2007

What's the status of sound in 7.10?

On the Server I can play Flash-based audio, which is quite common on
sites.  But, playing sounds with audio applications does not work
(they seem to play, but no audio is output).

On some client machines the reverse is true.  I can play audio from
applications but not flash-based audio.

On another client (Thinkpad T60p) audio does not work except for the
beep produced by, say, and xterm client on invalid input.

Another issue is the clients sometimes will say:

    The Panel encountered a problem while loading
    OAFIID:GNOME_MixerApple

Can someone point me to documentation that would help debug?

Thanks,

--
Bill Moseley
moseley at hank.org