Upgrade from 7.04 - 7.10

R. Scott Belford scott at hosef.org
Sat Nov 3 04:18:14 GMT 2007

tmoore at rivercitychristianschool.com wrote:
> I have an AMD64 server running 8 thin clients, all of which are i386 boxes.  I
> had to do a build with the i386 machine.  Everything went well and all clients
> connected.
>
> I upgrade to 7.10 - Nobody connects anymore.  I did a reinstall using the 7.10
> disk which I downloaded.  I tried to retrace my steps by building the i386
> client, but still no connections.  At the thjin clients, it looks like they
> connect and actually get dhcp addresses, but finally enters a shell when certain
> files are not found.
>
> I know I am not the only person with this problem so please help me!

Tom

You are not the only one.  I am having this problem, but most of my
focus has been on de-bugging new installs and upgrades from 7.04.  I
cannot successfully boot *any* clients, from P4 to P1, from 512mb  to
32mb of ram, from an EdubuntuAmd64 ltsp server with an i386 chroot.  I
can sucessfully boot any of these clients from and Edubuntui386 ltsp server.

I have followed all directions I can find.  My only observations is this

If you complete delete your amd64 instance from /opt/ltsp and
/var/lib/tftpboot/ltsp/ and then build your i386 instance, your clients
only boot to a Busybox shell.

If you leave the amd64 instance and *then* build the i386 instance, your
clients will fail at the binfmt-**** error.  I have tried adding the
binfmt-*** to my module blacklist, *both* for the client and for the
server, but to no avail.

I am just making my setups dual-boot until I can debug why this will not
work.

> --Ted Moore
> tmoore at rivercitychristianschool.com

--scott