gutsy and regular PCs on edubuntu lan

Gavin McCullagh gmccullagh at
Fri Nov 2 14:13:59 GMT 2007

On Fri, 02 Nov 2007, Gavin McCullagh wrote:

> On Fri, 02 Nov 2007, Denis Melnikov wrote:

> > as I understand your LTSP's dhcpd is listening to
> > subnet, while another DHCPD to one. If so you don't
> > need to define the 2nd subnet at your 1st dhcpd and vice versa.
> > This will work provided the servers placed in corresponding
> > subnets. Else you will need dhcp-relay at your router.

Sorry, I think some differences in language may be affecting this.  To me a
subnet is just a set of addresses, not a physical network.

If you have your subnet on one physical segment (switch) and on another segment, you should be fine.  As has been said,
the DHCP server will only listen on interfaces it's told to in
/etc/default/dhcp3-server.  It will also only listen on interfaces which
have an address which match one of its subnet declarations.