gutsy and regular PCs on edubuntu lan

Gavin McCullagh gmccullagh at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 14:13:59 GMT 2007

Hi,

On Fri, 02 Nov 2007, Gavin McCullagh wrote:

> On Fri, 02 Nov 2007, Denis Melnikov wrote:

> > as I understand your LTSP's dhcpd is listening to 192.168.0.0/24
> > subnet, while another DHCPD to 192.168.1.0/24 one. If so you don't
> > need to define the 2nd subnet at your 1st dhcpd and vice versa.
> > This will work provided the servers placed in corresponding
> > subnets. Else you will need dhcp-relay at your router.

Sorry, I think some differences in language may be affecting this.  To me a
subnet is just a set of addresses, not a physical network.

If you have your 192.168.1.0/24 subnet on one physical segment (switch) and
192.168.0.0/24 on another segment, you should be fine.  As has been said,
the DHCP server will only listen on interfaces it's told to in
/etc/default/dhcp3-server.  It will also only listen on interfaces which
have an address which match one of its subnet declarations.