Crazy thought, track high processor use apps?

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Fri Nov 2 13:24:26 GMT 2007

I periodically open htop and sort by CPU usage.  I then watch to see what apps spike a
processor to 100% usage.  I figure if I watch that maybe I'll find a more efficient way
to run a task or have enough information to find an application that will perform the
same task but with less processor usage.

Anybody know how to create a script that would write to a log every application that
spiked a processor at 100%.  This could get huge, and should probably only be run for
short periods of time.  But it would be cool to run through a list every now and then
during high usage and see what apps or processes are consuming the most resources.  For
instance I see the command "grep ^[ ] *18298" with random numbers at the end, running
quite often spiking processor usage.  Having such a log would allow me to analyze what
is happening during high use periods.  This could possibly lead to figuring out how to
lessen the load on a server allowing it to scale higher.  Or help in determining what
apps to move to being local apps.

Just a thought,

Jim Kronebusch
Cotter Tech Department