gutsy and regular PCs on edubuntu lan

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Fri Nov 2 06:05:10 GMT 2007

On Thu, Nov 01, 2007 at 09:45:18AM +0000, Gavin McCullagh wrote:
> If you can't modify the existing DHCP, the 2-NIC approach is probably
> what you need¹.

Ok, perhaps this is more of a ISC DHCP question, but I now have two
NICs in the LTSP server and it's running DHCPD.  There's another DHCPD
server on the same LAN and it seems to not be a problem.

I read the ISC DHCPD docs again today and I'm not clear about
something:  The LTSP dhcpd.conf only has a listing for the subnet for
the thin clients.  It also is "authoritive".

/etc/ltsp/dhcpd.conf

    authoritative;

    subnet 192.168.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
        range 192.168.0.20 192.168.0.250;
    }

Maybe I need to take a peek with wireshark, but do I need an empty
subnet section for the subnet that has the other DHCPD server?

What I'm not clear on is if the LTSP DHCPD will answer requests from
clients on the other subnet (192.168.1.x).  Seems like the docs say
that dhcpd will send out DHCPNAK since the entire config is
authoritative and 192.168.1.x is not a defined subnet.  That would
conflict with the other dhcpd server.

--
Bill Moseley
moseley at hank.org