LDAP errors, stops answering requests

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Thu Nov 1 14:38:42 GMT 2007

On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 23:24:06 +0200, Stefano Rivera wrote
> Hi Jim (2007.10.31_23:19:51_+0200)
> > Twice now I have ran into a situation where LDAP stops answering requests for any
> > connected systems.  Here is the error that shows up in the logs:
>
> Use nscd.

I've seen that before, and think I had it set up once.  I assume this will keep things
so my clients can still run with authentication, but won't keep LDAP from crashing.  Or
is there an advantage to using the cache where it won't open so many files?

> > That was until I ran cat /proc/sys/fs/file-max and it returned 1615850.  I wouldn't
> > think there are over a million files open.
>
> Did you look? lsof.

Nope, did now.  Saw crap spool across the screen for a while.  Is there an option to
list total open files with lsof?

> It really wouldn't suprise me if there were that many open files, given
> lots of clients.

There is usually 45 clients in use and 108 concurrently booted from this server.  Also
the /home is shared to the mail server which holds a few hundred users.  Over a million
seems like a lot, but I don't really know how to accurately check.  This seems to build
over a few weeks time.  So maybe the problem is that things aren't getting closed like
they should?

Thanks,
Jim