The Open Source Educator

Timothy Hart timothy.hart at gmail.com
Fri May 11 19:14:07 BST 2007

Hello all,

Let me first introduce myself. I am Tim Hart, a technology coordinator at a
school in Maine (US for those who don't know where that is). We use Linux
pretty heavily in my school and both the teachers and students have
benefited from the goodness that Free and Open Source Software brings.

I send this email as an invitation to all that may be interested. About a
year ago, a few people on the K12LTSP list started talking about creating a
resource for teachers and techies involved with FOSS in education. Some
ideas were thrown around but eventually it fell to the wayside. The main
idea was to provide a downloadable PDF similar to Tux Magazine.

The idea has come up again and we are trying to push it into fruition this
time around. Obviously this needs to be a team effort, so your input is both
wanted and needed. Some of the leg work and structure has already been done.
Going back through the list archives and remembering why it may have failed
last time I think there was too much pressure of people creating the
articles in Scribus and no one putting it all together. We can fix this
however.

My idea this time around is to have a communal blog where individuals can
author articles and publish them on the web. Once there are enough articles
a few people (who want to) can work on putting the downloadable ezine
together. The focus doesn't even have to be on a downloadable ezine either.
Having a blog with multiple authors from all tech levels and physical
regions would be a great resource for everyone involved with FOSS in
schools.

There was some good discussion last time so I think there is a niche for
something like this. So to get this thing started I have done some leg work
(which is up for discussion as well).

Doing this the easiest way, I created a blog at wordpress.com.
http://theopensourceeducator.wordpress.com/ (soon to be
www.theopensourceeducator.org
). Wordpress is both easy to use and pretty powerful to boot (GRUB of
course, ha, bootloader joke).

I have also created a google group for discussion about TOSE and issues
around FOSS in education. http://groups.google.com/group/tose/. Again, I
used googlegroups because it was easy. I like easy. I think that is a good
thing here.

We also have the wiki that Dave Trask set up last time around. I would
suggest looking at that to see where we got to last time.
http://www.vcsvikings.org/tose/doku.php

Please come and discuss how we get this project of the ground. If you would
post this anywhere appropriate it would be appreciated. All others are
welcome. Feedback is very welcome.

To get involved just visit http://theopensourceeducator.wordpress.com/ and
see how. If you have any questions email me back.

Tim Hart
Glenburn School