Gnome is almost freezing

François BARILLON francois.barillon at free.fr
Thu May 10 17:00:06 BST 2007

Hello,

I've installed Edubuntu 7.04 on Packard Bell computer with 1024 Mo ram,
225 Go sata dd and a Geoforce 7500 video card.

Yesterday, everything went fine, so I've installed it in a classroom.

The three thin clients are working fine but when opening a graphic
session on the server, there's an error :

"some gnome-preference-panel daemon could not be launched"

Then, opening a desktop menu takes about 30 second and everything
related with Gnome is extremely slowwwwww.

I've been told to install kubuntu-destop and then edubuntu-desktop
or switch gdm->kdm->gdm.

Could it be a good idea.

nb : the computer is no more at my home, so tests are difficult.

François