Uprade to 7.04

Gavin McCullagh gmccullagh at gmail.com
Wed May 9 19:07:56 BST 2007

Hi,

On Wed, 09 May 2007, tedmoore99 at satx.rr.com wrote:

> Gavin:  Thanks for your help.  New problem-- I downloaded the 7.04 disks
> and did a new install on a different harddrive (that makes it easier to
> my terminals connected quickly, however,  I cannot log into a single
> one.  I keep getting the login prompt back.  (Yes I did add users!)

One of the standard reasons for this to fail is that the ssh keys don't
match (eg if you might have change ip address or something).  To make sure
this is not a problem run:

	sudo ltsp-update-sshkeys

If that doesn't help, some more things to try:

* On the server, under System->Preferences start the System Log Viewer.
  Click file->open and select:
	/var/log/auth.log
  have a look through it and see are there errors relating to your login

* Set a password on the thin clients.
  On the server, go to a shell and type:
	sudo chroot /opt/ltsp/i386
	passwd root
	# type the password you want
	exit

* Once you have a password on the thin clients you can go to a thin client:
	- press <ctrl><alt><F1>
	- login with username root and password you set above.
	- to look at the logs from the login manager type:
		less /var/log/ldm.log

* Try resetting the password on the account.  Set it to
  something really simple, all lower case, eg "test" and try logging in
  again. Try typing the password into the username box, to make sure all
  keys are typing what you expect.

Keep us posted!