Firefox locked for one user -- How to clear?

Gavin McCullagh gmccullagh at gmail.com
Tue May 8 14:18:15 BST 2007

Hi,

On Tue, 08 May 2007, Scott Ledyard wrote:

> From a "just curious" standpoint, I still don't quite understand how a file
> called "lock" can link to an IP:Port. I kind of think of a link being a
> shortcut to another file located elsewhere. Is this the unix approach of
> every device being a file?

The lock appears to be a symbolic link pointed to a file called
"127.0.0.1:+12658" in the firefox profile directory.  This file doesn't
actually exist so if you try to open it you get "file not found".  I guess
they've just used a symlink to store the ip address and port number of the
X display connection.  This doesn't have much significance -- it could just
as easily be a file called lock with 127.0.0.1:+12658 as its contents.