Edubuntu Feisty

Scott Ledyard scott at redboot.biz
Thu Mar 29 12:26:10 BST 2007

So what I hear you saying is that the low cost and ease of use are
important.

I remember when we were trying to setup a trial lab, we tried to set up the
fastest machine as the server and the fastest network switch. On the day of
our trial, neither the fast server nor the switch worked, so we had to fall
back to an older P4 PC with 512MB or RAM as the server and only a 100MB
network. We were amazed that we were able to run 8 thin clients off of it
and the performance was excellent. We never could get the CPU utilization or
memory past 75%.

This for us was perhaps the most impressive part. That even an old server
with old thin clients functioned well.  This might be good news for the
schools in your neighborhood.

BTW, in my classroom my (headless) LTSP server and four thin clients are
booted and logged in each day by a 10 year old. The only problems she seems
to run into are when she tries to get the XP machines going!

I wish you luck in your worthy project.

Scott