Help for a Linux Newbie With Video (Edubuntu - Edgy Edge)

Simon Ruiz sruiz at mccsc.edu
Wed Mar 7 18:43:01 GMT 2007

Hello, Mike!

First, let me say: Welcome to the Community!

Second, let me point you to the answer to your problems: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats

We've got United Streaming here as well, and the way we suggest our teachers use it is to DOWNLOAD the QuickTime file (rather than streaming it), and run it using Mplayer (p.s. if you hit "f", it goes fullscreen).

I'm not completely clear on all the legal issues, though. I know it's not kosher for Ubuntu to distribute their CDs with all the codecs, at least not in the U.S. and I think it might even be illegal to use the windows 32 bit codecs (in the U.S.) unless you have a license for Windows for each machine that's running it. We don't install the Windows Media codecs, anyhow, just the ones present in the official repositories.

This is why I recommend using the QuickTime version of the videos.

HTH,

Simón