'mount' my sound card

Gavin McCullagh gmccullagh at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 09:11:37 GMT 2007

Hi,

On Tue, 06 Mar 2007, Michael Steigerwald wrote:

> snd_hda_intel          18964  0
> snd_hda_codec         157616  1 snd_hda_intel
> snd_pcm                89864  3 snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_pcm_oss
> snd                    55268  6
> snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer
> snd_page_alloc         10632  2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
>
> I don't know how to interpret it. Does the '0' in the first line indicate
> it's not loaded?

Its presence in the list means it is loaded, but the 0 usually means
something along the lines of "not in use by any process".  I wouldn't worry
overly about that.

> From the BIOS, it appears that the internal modem is enabled. Restarting
> ALSA did not seem to help.

I wasn't clear what this would do, just that it was suggested in that
article.

> I learned a lot from the tutorials, but the only other tangible suggestion I
> found seemed to paraphrase to 'compile snd_hda_intel' into the kernel. Is
> that my next best attempt?

There shouldn't be any need to do this -- the module is already there.

What do you get if you type the following commands:

	ps aux |grep esd

	esd &

The first searches the running processes for esound, the sound daemon, to
see if it is running.  The second starts the sound daemon, it would be
interesting to know what happens when you try to start it.