'mount' my sound card

Gavin McCullagh gmccullagh at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 09:36:25 GMT 2007

Hi,

would I be right in guessing that this is a relatively new computer,
possibly an IBM/Lenovo one, possibly a Thinkpad T60?  Am I way off the mark
here?
	http://www.pc.ibm.com/ww/thinkpad/x-t.html

It seems possible the PCI IDs database doesn't have an entry for this sound
card in edubuntu 6.06 so hotplug is failing to autodetect it.

If the computer is indeed a thinkpad T60 series, then these tutorials
should be relevant.

http://www.kraus.tk/installnotes/T60/ThinkPad-T60.htm
http://www.sbellon.de/t60.html
http://thomasgersdorf.com/linux/index.php/Gentoo_Linux_on_IBM_ThinkPad_T60#Sound

In particular, the last ones says:
  "It's important to enable modem-support in BIOS else the hda-intel driver
   will complain and ALSA works not until the restart of
   /etc/init.d/alsasound"

They all seem to be suggesting that you need the snd-hda-intel driver.  If
you run:
	lsmod | grep snd-hda-intel
you can check if that module is already loaded.  If it's not, you could try
	sudo modprobe snd-hda-intel
and see does your sound card become available.

You might reboot and check the BIOS has modem support enabled and/or try:
	sudo /etc/init.d/alsa-utils restart

On Mon, 05 Mar 2007, Michael Steigerwald wrote:

>   1. output from cat /proc/asound/cards
>      1. 0 [Intel          ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
>                           HDA Intel at 0xee240000 irq 58

It appears from this that alsa is at least aware of the sound card. It
suggests the system is already aware to use the snd-hda-intel driver.

>   2. I'm running edubuntu 6.06 LTS

It would be interesting to see if edubuntu 6.10 makes any difference.  You
could try the live cd just to check.  It has a more up-to-date set of
pciids.

>   4. output from  lspci -v

>   0000:00:1b.0 0403: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High
>   Definition Audio Controller (rev 02)
>           Subsystem: Lenovo: Unknown device 2010
>           Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 58
>           Memory at ee240000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
>           Capabilities: <available only to root>

Looking at the up-to-date pciid database, you can see:

http://pciids.sourceforge.net/pci.ids

	27d8  82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller
		103c 30a1  NC2400
		107b 5048  E4500
		10f7 8338  Panasonic CF-Y5 laptop
		1179 ff31  AC97 Data Fax SoftModem with SmartCP
		152d 0753  Softmodem
		1734 10ad  Conexant softmodem SmartCP
		17aa 2010  ThinkPad T60/R60 series