Distros of Ubuntu with LTSP

Jordan Mantha mantha at ubuntu.com
Mon Jun 25 20:45:19 BST 2007

On Mon Jun 25, 2007 at 08:43:38PM +0100, Gavin McCullagh wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 25 Jun 2007, Ian Moore wrote:
>
> >  I've been looking at the Ubuntu homepage and notice that the 'server'
> >  version of Ubuntu ships with LTSP. The long term support on it is up to
> >  2011 for the 6.06 version.
>
> This is also true for Edubuntu 6.06.  All dapper (6.06) editions are
> supported for 5 years (ubuntu, edubuntu, kubuntu, ubuntu server).

This isn't strictly true. The Long Term Support release is supported for 3
years on the desktop and 5 years on the server. I think this would mean
that LTSP is supposed to be supported for 5 years whether it is in Edubuntu
or Ubuntu Server. However, I think perhaps the desktop aspects (edu apps,
etc.) of Edubuntu 6.06 will be supported for 3 years. Oliver might be able
to shed some light here. My understanding is that the support is at the
package level and not the distro level.

> > Obviously it will not come with Educational programs installed and the
> > classroom control utilities.
> >
> > Has anybody used this distro?
> > Is it basically the same as Edubuntu?
>
> They are exactly the same, just a different selection of packages installed
> by default.

Exactly, and we sometimes need to make that more clear. Ubuntu, Edubuntu,
Kubuntu, and Xubuntu are mostly just changing the default app selection.
Note, for instance, that you can use the Edubuntu server discs to do an
Ubuntu Server installation.

-Jordan