School Maintenance Trouble Ticket System

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg-lists.ubuntu.com at fifthhorseman.net
Fri Jun 22 16:16:43 BST 2007

On Fri 2007-06-22 09:42:41 -0400, Ameel, Christopher wrote:

> Does anyone out there know of a GPL app preferably for Edubuntu (but
> any Open Source will work) for setting up a school maintenance
> trouble ticket tracking system?  NOT for computer issues.
> Specifically a trouble ticket system where teachers would submit
> tickets like, "boys john needs toilet paper", "west side of
> building, security light is out", "leaky faucet in cafeteria",
> etc...
>
> I need to help my school setup a system where they can "track"
> maintenance issues.

I recommend Trac for its relatively uncluttered interface and
simple/clean wiki integration.  You do *not* need to set it up with a
revision control system if you're using it with non-technical users:

 http://trac.edgewall.com/

No matter what system you choose, spending time training staff is
essential if you want the system to be useful.  Seriously: plan time
to sit down with people (either in a large group, or small groups),
and using a large monitor or projector, walk through the steps it
takes to submit a ticket, and show how followup works.

Even if the request is simple, you need to think about followup,
because as often as not, you'll get a request like "WE NEED TOILET
PAPER!" from an anonymous user.  If you've got 10 bathrooms in the
school, this isn't a useful request without being able to follow up
with the submitter.

> A real PLUS would be one that let's you put in periodic maintenance
> on an automatic schedule.

Alas, i don't think trac will do this for you, though there may be a
plugin available which meets your needs.  It's a fairly extensible
system:

 http://www.trac-hacks.org/

hth,

        --dkg