LTSP 5/No login on client

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Thu Jun 21 16:41:14 BST 2007

Well my test setup was working until this morning when I rebooted my client.  The client
boots up and brings me to a login screen, I login with a valid username and password and
things switch to a black screen with an X in the center for about 10 seconds, then dumps
back to the login screen.  I can log in with this user on the server itself, just not on
the client.  I can also ssh to the server with this user successfully.  I logged into
the server via ssh and did a "sudo chroot /opt/ltsp/i386" and then did a "adduser debug"
so that I could log in via screen1 on the client for troubleshooting.  I have looked at
ldm.log and see some errors but don't really know what is normal or not.  I look on the
server at the user in question for errors in .xsession-errors and I have an error
stating the following:

Xsession: X session started for testing at Thu Jun 21 10:22:38 CDT 2007
No profile for user 'testing' found

But I know the profile exists because I can see it and it logs in on the server fine, so
the client must be having trouble finding it.

In looking at the ldm.log it looks like there are some trivial errors in trying to find
some fonts, a few errors in loading gnome libraries (example libgnome.so, sunkenmenu)
and some errors for ssh.  I am guessing that the ssh errors are the problem, but don't
know what to do to fix them.  OpenSSH_4.3p2Debian complains that there was "An invalid
name supplied" and "Configuration file does not specify default realm".  I found some
similar posts regarding this and they said this was fixed by running
/usr/sbin/ltsp-sshkeys-update, but I cannot find this file anywhere.  I am running a
fresh install of Edubuntu 7.04 64-bit.

I thought that maybe somehow the /opt/ltsp/i386 directory was corrupt so I did a sudo rm
-f -R /opt/ltsp/i386 and then sudo ltsp-build-client --arch i386 to get a fresh
directory and still have the same trouble.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jim Kronebusch
Cotter Tech Department