Fwd: RFS: QtOctave -- A Qt front-end to Octave - help to make it a ubuntu package

Nicolas Pettiaux nicolas.pettiaux at ael.be
Mon Jun 18 05:50:25 BST 2007

Dear

I have obtained that matlab be replaced by octave, as the tool of
choice (aka programming environnement) for the teaching of numerical
analysis on the 2nd year at the Université libre de Bruxelles
(Brussels, Belgium) in the faculty of applied sciences.

For this to take place in the best conditions, a simple environnement,
looking like the one of matlab would be very helpfull. This is what
qtoctave provides: the users will "feel at home".

The computers will be equipped with ubuntu feisty, and in order for
the students to be able to use the same environnement at home without
paying or illegal copying (one strong argument in favor of octave vs
matlab), an easy installation for them is a real plus.

Jordi, whom I thank very much again, has provided a first packaging of
qtoctave.

Could you please have a look and consider what you can to to help it
become a package tat could be included in the ones easily and
officially installable on ubuntu ?

I suppose this may be helpful in other teaching environnements and universities.

Best regards,

Nicolas