Recommended gigabit pci NIC's and switches

Ben Greenfield ben at cogs.com
Mon Jun 11 02:11:38 BST 2007

To be honest you are a long way from being able to ask for helpful
advice.

On Jun 10, 2007, at 12:41 PM, Taisto Repo wrote:

> Can someone recommend a working combination of gigabit PCI nic for
> clients and a gigabit switch between the server and client network?

gigabit is more or less gigabit so mixing and matching in theory
should be fine. A 24 port gigabit switch costs anywhere from $400 to
$1,200 plus depending on features.

> The clients are working otherwise OK but youtube videos are like
> slide shows...

The most unlikely solution to  your problem based on the above
problem statement is upgrading to gigabit ethernet.

> Currently there is a 100 Mbit switch / network cards
> on clients but probably a faster interface would help at least a
> little bit. Is INTEL PRO/1000 GT DESKTOP ADAPTER BLK and	 Dlink
> DGS-1005D/E a better option?

Beyond this information to help answer your question you should
provide the following information.

number of clients
internet connection
proxy/firewall layout

> They are both quite reasonably priced
> and the network card  should support PXE booting.

Are you currently network booting? In the above complaint you say
that the clients are working and your tube is a problem. What are
your clients currently doing?

> However it is not worth of upgrade if there is no speed gain.

There is a substantial speed gain for some operations it is doubtful
that youtube would experience any difference in experience by
upgrading to gigabit.

Again please describe overall what you are working on.

> Has
> anyone got experiences of these?

Tons, although I'm not sure if this list is the appropriate spot for
networking advice I will be happy to share advice until the moderator
tells us to stop.

thanks,
bdg