Share permissions

Gavin McCullagh gmccullagh at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 17:11:41 BST 2007

On Thu, 07 Jun 2007, François BARILLON wrote:

> I'd like to use a common folder with read-write permission for everybody
> (or for a specific group).
>
> But when an user save a file in a common folder, the created file is
> readonly for other user even if I turned chmod 777 for the folder.
>
> Is there a way to make this permission problem invisible for a basic
> user?

Indeed there is.  This is another question we should add to the FAQ.
Rather than repeat the long-winded answer, I'll refer you to the thread
entitled "public folder file permissions" here:

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/edubuntu-users/2007-April/thread.html#848

In brief, what you probably want to do is:

1. Create the folder.
2. Setgid the folder so that files created in their get the correct
   associated group.
3. Set all user's default umask so that when they create files they are
   always group writable.