some questions

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Tue Jul 31 15:15:43 BST 2007

> Unless I've misunderstood, I think this will work for workstations but
> probably not for thin clients -- which all have the same hostname.
> However, you could determine the thin client's ip address by looking at the
> ESPEAKER environment variable (i think there's another as well, if you're
> not using sound, type export to list the env vars).

I modified /etc/hosts so that all my thin clients are assigned a different hostname.
But I don't have them assigned by mac address so the hostname can change.  I have
thought about assigning them by mac address in dhcpd.conf and then calling them
HSLAB1-HSLAB30 or HSMC1-HSMC15 (High School Lab or High School Media Center and so on).
 Then the name would tell me exactly where the client is.

> A nice variation on this for thin clients might be to create a
> DEFAULT_PRINTER option in lts.conf.  This would get passed through to LDM
> which could run lpoptions as part of its ssh login.  Then you don't bother
> with static ips, just associate mac address and printer directly in
> lts.conf.

I like that idea, I think.  Does this mean that all printers would be in the system as
an option to print, but default printer would be set based on Mac address?  If so, I
think I like that option.  Then a user could print anywhere if need be, but the defaults
would be set so that they did not have to make a choice if the didn't want to.  It would
be nice to also have the option to not have any printers listed and only have the
default set up (more control so that they can't print 100 pages of crap to a printer in
another building).

What do you see as options to set for DEFAULT_PRINTER=?  I imagine there would need to
be a file somewhere that specified a list of Mac addresses to compare to and what the
associated default printer would be.  Also there might need to be some parameters for
the printer in order for ldm to set it up, right?

> This should be fairly straightforward to hack together in feisty (you can
> probably just modify the python code in /opt/ltsp/i386/usr/sbin/ldm), but
> it might also be a nice and hopefully fairly simple-to-implement feature to
> get added to LDM2.
>
> Gavin

I wonder who would be good to ask to look at this?  I know Gideon Romm is very familiar
with how to hack the ldm code.