some questions

Kai Wüstermann k.wuestermann at
Tue Jul 31 15:01:23 BST 2007

Moin Gavin!

Am Dienstag, den 31.07.2007, 14:41 +0100 schrieb Gavin McCullagh:

> On Mon, 30 Jul 2007, Vince Callaway wrote:
> > I had a similar issue.  My solution was to assign fixed addresses to each
> > workstation in my dhcpd configuration.  In the /etc/profile I check for
> > hostname and set default printer using "lpoptions -d PrinterName".  Calling
> > lpoptions as a regular using defines the default in  ~/.cups/lpoptions
> Unless I've misunderstood, I think this will work for workstations but
> probably not for thin clients -- which all have the same hostname.
> However, you could determine the thin client's ip address by looking at the
> ESPEAKER environment variable (i think there's another as well, if you're
> not using sound, type export to list the env vars).

That would not matter. I think I will give each client a static
ip-address and a hostname via DHCP. It is easier to remember where the
client is placed.
> A nice variation on this for thin clients might be to create a
> DEFAULT_PRINTER option in lts.conf.  This would get passed through to LDM
> which could run lpoptions as part of its ssh login.  Then you don't bother
> with static ips, just associate mac address and printer directly in
> lts.conf.

This sounds nice! But i can't find a DEFAULT_PRINTER option in lts.conf
and don't know how to configure this for LDM. I would need much help.

> This should be fairly straightforward to hack together in feisty (you can
> probably just modify the python code in /opt/ltsp/i386/usr/sbin/ldm), but
> it might also be a nice and hopefully fairly simple-to-implement feature to
> get added to LDM2.

No, I don't think, that I am able to modify python code;-)

Thank you
Kai Wüstermann