some questions

Gavin McCullagh gmccullagh at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 14:41:44 BST 2007

Hi,

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007, Vince Callaway wrote:

> I had a similar issue.  My solution was to assign fixed addresses to each
> workstation in my dhcpd configuration.  In the /etc/profile I check for
> hostname and set default printer using "lpoptions -d PrinterName".  Calling
> lpoptions as a regular using defines the default in  ~/.cups/lpoptions

Unless I've misunderstood, I think this will work for workstations but
probably not for thin clients -- which all have the same hostname.
However, you could determine the thin client's ip address by looking at the
ESPEAKER environment variable (i think there's another as well, if you're
not using sound, type export to list the env vars).

A nice variation on this for thin clients might be to create a
DEFAULT_PRINTER option in lts.conf.  This would get passed through to LDM
which could run lpoptions as part of its ssh login.  Then you don't bother
with static ips, just associate mac address and printer directly in
lts.conf.

This should be fairly straightforward to hack together in feisty (you can
probably just modify the python code in /opt/ltsp/i386/usr/sbin/ldm), but
it might also be a nice and hopefully fairly simple-to-implement feature to
get added to LDM2.