authentication failing

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Mon Jul 30 16:44:37 BST 2007

On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 19:32:49 +1200, Krsnendu dasa wrote
> I have Feisty 7.04. It was running fine last weekend. This weekend I went to
> test it again and it wouldn't allow any user to login.
> The log in screen comes up fine then when I type my username and password
> the screen goes blank then the x comes on the screen then it returns to the
> log in screen.
> I hit ctrl-alt-f1 and tried logging in. It keeps telling me incorrect
> password. I tried with the two users registered on the system. Only one was
> logged in at the same time.
> I have no problems logging in directly on the server.
>
> What should I do they solve this?

If the update keys command from Kari did not work, then did you install Sabayon
recently?  I was bitten by this before.  Sabayon does not assign a default profile to
users, so when you try and log in it cannot find a profile and you get kicked back to
the login screen.  If so either remove sabayon or open sabayon and create a profile and
assign it to all users to start.