Hardware / Thin Client Reccomendations

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Mon Jul 30 16:37:46 BST 2007

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 09:06:10 -0400, Ameel, Christopher wrote
> I apologize if this is not the correct group for this question...
>
> Can anyone give a reccomendation of some inexpensive, "off the shelf",
> thin clients to use in a small Edubuntu server-client environment?  Or,
> some basic hardware specs for building some.  I'm looking for "bare
> bones" minimum requirements.  $$$ is VERY tight.
>
> Thank you,

So far I am very happy with the DevonIT 6020p thin clients.

http://devonit.com/terminals/terminals_overview.php

The 6020p is $139 per client and has a 800Mhz processor, 128MB RAM, and PXE boots.  It
also has sound in and out and mic ports, 2 PS2 ports, 2 com ports, a parallel port, and
4 usb ports.  Everything has worked for me thus far out of the box with Edubuntu 7.04.
You just can't beat the power for the price with these if you ask me.

They also claim to support LTSP.  I ordered 108 of them and had one unit with bad sound
that I have to send back.

However they are not fanless and do make a minimal amount of noise.