Customizing live CD and mass install

francois francois.barillon at free.fr
Sun Jul 29 11:06:12 BST 2007

Le vendredi 27 juillet 2007 à 13:50 +0200, Phyo W. Soe a écrit :
> Hi all,
>
> I have a server running Edubuntu 6. I also have mini PCs that don't have
> any CD-ROM drives, have 2GB of Flash memory as hard disks (just to
> install the OS, storage will be on the server). They also have Ethernet
> connectors.
>
> What I would like to do is to install Edubuntu on those mini PCs. I want
> to put the contents of Live CD on the server PC and when the miniPCs
> boot up, they will get the required kernel and packages from the
> server's HDD (probably using PXEBoot). That way, the miniPCs won't have
> to download packages from Internet whenever they need to install
> Edubuntu on them.

What you describe is called "fat clients". Edubuntu doesn't manage fat
clients for the moment.

But if your mini pc's are able to do a pxe boot, you just have to
connect them to an Edubuntu server and press the "power" button.

This is called "thin clients" and it's much more easy to administrate
because you just have to create things (applications, users, printer
configuration...) one time and everyting is available immediately for
all the mini pc's.

François