Customizing live CD and mass install

Phyo W. Soe ps at michelangelotech.com
Fri Jul 27 12:50:37 BST 2007

Hi all,

I have a server running Edubuntu 6. I also have mini PCs that don't have
any CD-ROM drives, have 2GB of Flash memory as hard disks (just to
install the OS, storage will be on the server). They also have Ethernet
connectors.

What I would like to do is to install Edubuntu on those mini PCs. I want
to put the contents of Live CD on the server PC and when the miniPCs
boot up, they will get the required kernel and packages from the
server's HDD (probably using PXEBoot). That way, the miniPCs won't have
to download packages from Internet whenever they need to install
Edubuntu on them.

What I would like to know is how to create a custom Live CD. This is
necessary since the miniPCs have only 2GB of Flash and all unnecessary
packages have to be left out. I found a tutorial for that here:
http://www.atworkonline.it/~bibe/ubuntu/custom-livecd.htm I don't know
if the same methods can be used for Edubuntu. Do you think there are
better ways to do that?

Besides customizing the live CD, I want to put drivers (for sound card,
NIC, etc.,) for the miniPCs on the new Live CD so that during
installation, the system will find necessary drivers. Do I have to
recompile the kernel to do this? I would also like to know how to
configure PXE so that the server will tell the miniPCs to get the
required kernel and packages from its HDD.

Now for installation. Since there are many miniPCs, I'd like to do mass
installation. Which will be the suitable tool for this? I saw that FAI
support Debian. Can I use FAI to mass install Edubuntu?

Any advice/help would be truly appreciated.

Thanks.