initial thoughts on ltsp kiosk plugin

Gavin McCullagh gmccullagh at gmail.com
Sun Jul 22 00:17:48 BST 2007

Hi Reiner,

I hope you don't mind me CCing the list.  You might get some other useful

On Sat, 21 Jul 2007, Reiner Schmid wrote:

> Could you tell me if you have sucess with these ......
>
> >I'm thinking of ways we could perhaps expand on this.  Perhaps:
> >  - a DVD player kiosk
> >  - add a multimedia player plugin to the existing firefox kiosk
> >  - make a simple application kiosk usable with data or even home
> >    directory stored on USB key.

I haven't tried any of these yet, sorry I've been kind of busy with other
things.

> ..and could you send me a good working-ltsp5plugin for gutsy?

I've only used the web-kiosks with feisty (I can verify they do work).
It's possible with recent changes to gutsy ltsp that it might be broken
just now.  If that's the case, I'd suggest you email the edubuntu-devel
list with details of your problems or better yet report a bug against ltsp
in launchpad.  Then hopefully people will be aware of the problem and can
try to fix it.

Based on feisty, what you should (I think) be able to do is:

1. Get the web kiosk working
   https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EdubuntuFAQ#head-1160489d41f8199cc1c7fcd9850bb5c60863f12b
2. chroot into the web kiosk root with something like
	chroot /opt/ltsp-kiosk/i386
   or whatever directory you put it in.
3. In the web kiosk root do
	sudo apt-get update
	sudo apt-get install vlc
4. In the kiosk root modify /home/kiosk/.xsession, changing the firefox
   command (which starts the web browser) to run vlc instead (with the
   direct address of your stream)

This is all made up off the top of my head though and I haven't tested it.
There may be several problems in the above.  If you haven't done so
already, I'd have a look at the vlc manuals multicast section.  Multicast
will enable you to "multicast" one copy of the video to all clients and
have every client view it (as opposed to unicast, where you must sent the
video once to each client, using much more bandwidth).

Good luck with it,