Running local programs on the thin clients.

Gavin McCullagh gmccullagh at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 10:20:25 BST 2007

On Thu, 19 Jul 2007, Ted Moore wrote:

> > When you run programs from thin clients, you run them on the server, they
> > only display on the thin client.  So, it's fine for them to run in 64-bit
> > mode as they are running on a 64-bit machine.
>
> That's the problem, the program will not run in 64 bit mode.  So, since
> my clients are running i386, how do I get a program to run on the thin
> client machine?

Sorry, I understand now (missed a "not" in your original post).  I would
have thought it should be possible to run the i386 version of squeak on the
amd64 server.  Below is a general article here on how this is done, but at
first glance I can't find any specific articles on squeak (if you figure it
out, it would be great to have one in the edubuntu wiki!!).

At the minute, the thin client "local apps" stuff is still only in
development so you might be able to get it working using gutsy, but I get
the impression it's not really stabilised and ready for prime time yet.