No Sound with Flash in Firefox

Krsnendu dasa krsnendu108 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 06:31:31 BST 2007

I have got i386 clients running with flash sound using amd64 Ubuntu.

I don't know if I did anything special but this is what I remember.
I installed Ubuntu Feisty on my AMD64X2 3800 box at home then I installed
the 32bit library that lets you run 32bit apps.
I installed 32 bit Firefox and installed flash on it.  Sound worked fine on
the server.
I then did sudo apt-get install edubuntu-desktop ltsp-standalone-server (or
whatever it is called)
After some tinkering (I needed to build the i386 chroot and change
lts.confto point to the i386 root not the amd64 root) and I guess
install the
libflash plugin (although I can't remember this.)
After I did this I tested client operations using a vmware machine as the
client. It seemed to work fine.

I even got sound to work in a shockwave multimedia application running under
wine that I couldn't even start on K12ltsp 6.
Finally, I tested it on one of the thin clients from school and everything
worked.

At school I installed 32 bit Edubuntu (out of the box) running as a VMware
machine. This time I got everyhing going okay, but not the shockwave
multimedia app. The app runs fine but there is no sound. It must be a
setting in wine. I will have to check the configuration at home and compare
it.