help! can't access tty

Gavin McCullagh gmccullagh at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 19:25:45 BST 2007

Hi,

On Fri, 20 Jul 2007, Horst Baelz wrote:

> grub loads and the edubuntu screen with the load bar appears but after the
> first segment the screen goes blank and shows
>
> /bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
> (initramfs) [   48.257727] drivers/usb/input/hid-core.c:
> usb_submit_urb(ctrl) failed
>
> I double-boot from two hard drives, one windows, one edubuntu
> I'm at a total loss and comparatively new to linux
>
> I might have inadvertently shut down my computer before update had finished
> -- could that be the reason for the error?

That could be a reason alright -- particularly if a kernel upgrade was
happening at that time.  You need to be careful not to reboot in the middle
of upgrades, particularly involving the kernel.

Very early in the boot process you should see a grub message where you can
press ESC to get a boot menu.  You may be able to choose an old kernel
which will boot up or perhaps choose the rescue kernel which will get you
up to a command line.

To finish off an interrupted upgrade, you probably need to do:

	sudo dpkg --configure -a