Video still not quite up to par

Gavin McCullagh gmccullagh at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 10:09:36 BST 2007

Hi,

On Wed, 18 Jul 2007, Jim Kronebusch wrote:

> I am running Edubuntu Feisty 7.04 with the default configuration other
> than running the PAE enabled kernel-server-image-bigiron kernel to
> recognize all of my RAM.  I am also running the LDM_DIRECTX=True option
> with the modified ldm in place to bypass ssh encryption of the video.
> When I run "echo $DISPLAY" it returns "10.6.253.255:6" which is the IP
> address of my thin client used for testing so I know the DIRECTX option
> is working.

I have run full screen video across LTSP5 on feisty using ssh forwarding
with minimal skipping.  Just in case, I presume the problem is still
present when you turn off LDM_DIRECTX?

It may have something to do with your video card setup.  I don't know much
about this stuff but I think for example that the Xv extension is important
for video playback.  It's possible X is not being configured optimally on
that client.  Do you have thin clients with different hardware and if so,
do you see it on all of them?

If you install gxine, on first run it gives a wizard which shows you ways
to improve video performances (such as Xv).

> However video is still jerky unless things are shrunk down to about 320
> pixels.  With the same server and client along with LTSP 4.2 under
> K12LTSP6 I was able to get full screen video running smoothly (a good
> test is to run KStars and zoom in and out, problems are also very
> repeatable with video.google.com).  Is there still some limitations that
> are causing Edubuntu/LTSP 5 to run slower in regards to video?

Not really with feisty in my experience.  Although, if a lot of people
started running full-screen video I can imagine things might start to go
bad.  That's a fundamental issue with sending rendered video across the
network though.  I presume you have a GigE switch at least for the server.