Video still not quite up to par

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Wed Jul 18 21:09:38 BST 2007

I am running Edubuntu Feisty 7.04 with the default configuration other than running the
PAE enabled kernel-server-image-bigiron kernel to recognize all of my RAM.  I am also
running the LDM_DIRECTX=True option with the modified ldm in place to bypass ssh
encryption of the video.  When I run "echo $DISPLAY" it returns "10.6.253.255:6" which
is the IP address of my thin client used for testing so I know the DIRECTX option is
working.  However video is still jerky unless things are shrunk down to about 320
pixels.  With the same server and client along with LTSP 4.2 under K12LTSP6 I was able
to get full screen video running smoothly (a good test is to run KStars and zoom in and
out, problems are also very repeatable with video.google.com).  Is there still some
limitations that are causing Edubuntu/LTSP 5 to run slower in regards to video?

I would like to try some modifications before testing both the K12LTSP-5.0.0EL 64-bit
and 32-bit with PAE.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim Kronebusch
Cotter Tech Department
453-5188