Sound configuration for solid state thin client: eBox 2300 for Edubuntu 7.04

Philipp Hanselmann philipp at schoolnet.na
Mon Jul 16 23:03:27 BST 2007

Good news ...

I managed,  the sound on the ebox 2300 is working with Edubuntu 7.04 . I got help from one of the developer from the tcosproject project (wiki.tcosproject.org). Their automatic setup takes care of the integration of the ebox 2300 in a thin client environment.

Basically. I added an real esound  demon manually to LTSP root, because pulseaudio replaced the esound demon with a pulseaudio wrapper deamon.
I did that, because the pulseaudio demon didn't manage to communicate with the oss sound card, so now the esound demon takes this job.

The audio stream goes like this:

LTSP server  -> pulseaudio demon  -> esound demon ->  oss soundcard (sis7019)

pulseaudio, and esound demon are running on the solid state thin client hardware (ebox 2300).

As soon as I have time (may next month) I will contribute my experience on the ebox 2300 to a wiki page...

Anyway the tcosproject is alternative to ltsp and works also with Ubuntu 7.04. I haven't tested it, but it sound simple and great ...

Philipp

>>> http://wiki.ltsp.org/twiki/bin/view/Ltsp/SoundCards#SiS_7019
>>> http://www.k12ltsp.org/mediawiki/index.php/WorkstationSound
>>> http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/f/topic-3-6-16159-0.html
>

> pulsedemon
> module-detect.c: failed to detect any sound hardware .... main.c:
> failed to initialize deamon.

SchoolNet NA - Youth Empowerment through Information and Communication Technology

SchoolNet Namibia provides sustainable, low cost technology solutions and internet access, as well as technical support, training services and rich educational content to schools, community-based educational organisations, and educational practitioners throughout Namibia.

www.schoolnet.na

toll free number: 0800 005793

Philipp Hanselmann
philipp at schoolnet.na