Gutsy-Tribe2 - No successful booting

Gavin McCullagh gmccullagh at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 22:57:40 BST 2007

Hi,

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007, Reiner Schmid wrote:

> Could  this be the bug?
>
> udevd-event:    rename_netif: error changing netif name eth0 to eth2:
> device or source busy

I'm not sure if this is the cause of your problem, but I suspect there is a
bug here.  I can see in
/opt/ltsp/i386/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

the line:

SUBSYSTEM=="net", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTRS{address}=="00:30:1b:ae:a2:2e", NAME="eth0"

which seems to indicate that the thin client has picked up a special rule
that eth0 be reserved for the card with the above mac address.  That is the
mac address of my server's network card.  I got a similar rename_netif
error, attempting to rename to eth1 -- however the boot proceeds after
that.

It's easy to see how this entry would get generated building the thin
client root, but I'm pretty sure it shouldn't happen in a thin client
chroot.  I have reported a bug here:

	https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ltsp/+bug/126437

Reiner: I suspect you have two network cards in your server and the above
file has two reserved entries (eth0 and eth1) which is why the thin client
is trying to rename its own network card to the next available, ie eth2.
This is almost certainly wrong behaviour, though I suspect it's not the
cause of your problem (given my thin client gets it too but continues
to boot successfully).

Now that I have time to look, I also see your previous error about
delayed_mounter not existing so that's definitely not fatal either.

Could you tell us what video card is in your thin client?  If you set the
root password on the thin clients, as detailed here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EdubuntuFAQ#head-285f03d2d3ed2f29847c7793dbdb8f1488814c1b

you should be able to login to the thin client as root and look at the X
start up log in /var/log/Xorg.6.log.  You might find a useful indication
of your problem in there.  Also, /var/log/ldm.log gives the display
manager's log.

The command "lspci" will list the pci devices including the video card.