Black screen from Live CD

Daniel J. Summers daniel at djs-consulting.com
Mon Jul 16 02:18:55 BST 2007

Mal Wanstall wrote:
> I boot up from the Desktop Install CD and it runs through its paces, I
> get the black screen with the white writing letting me know things are
> going OK then after that's all done I get a black screen and it stays
> there and never goes away. After a while the CD stops spinning (so I
> assume it's all loaded) but I still can't see anything...however it
> hasn't frozen because when I attempt to reboot the computer the white
> writing comes back on telling me its invoking the shutdown procedures.
Sounds like an X problem...  Try adding "nofb" to your boot parameters.
I used to have to do that with Red Hat and Debian (although Ubuntu
figured it out on it's own).  This disables framebuffer support, which
sometimes confuses laptops.

--
Daniel J. Summers
Owner, DJS Consulting

GEEKCODE 3.12 GCS/IT d s-:+ a C++ L++ E--- W++ N++ o? K- w !O M--
V PS+ PE++ Y? !PGP t+ 5? X+ R* tv b+ DI++ D+ G- e h---- r+++ y++++