your mail

Gavin McCullagh gmccullagh at gmail.com
Sat Jul 14 17:18:25 BST 2007

On Sat, 14 Jul 2007, Philipp Hanselmann wrote:

> modprobe sis7019
> FATAL: Error inserting sis 7019 (/lib/modules/2.6.20-15-386/kernel/sound/sis7019.ko):Invalid module format
>
> One reason could be, that I compiled the driver on the server (kernel:
> 2.6.20-15-generic) and moved later on the binary driver to the ltsp root
> (/opt/ltsp/i368). I noticed that the thin client have an other kernel
> version (kernel: 2.6.20.15-386)
>
> It this may the reason? How do I compile a sound driver for a thin client?

That's a possibility alright.  You should be able to instal the
linux-headers-386 package on the server and compile modules to run against
that kernel.  You shouldn't need the kernel itself installed.  Many
modules sources will assume you want it compiled against the current
running kernel so you probably have to pass some parameter to tell it to
use a different kernel source tree.