No Sound with Flash in Firefox

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Thu Jul 12 19:13:12 BST 2007

I have been battling this for a while now trying every darn tip I can find with google
searches, but I still can't get sound to work in flash under firefox.  System sounds
play fine on the client, and I sound works fine under movie and audio players.  I am
running a 64-bit version of Edubuntu 7.04.  I have tried running 32-bit flash under
64-bit firefox using nswrapper, flash works but no sound.  I have tried running 32-bit
firefox with 32-bit flash, flash works but no sound.  I tried installing Automatix2 for
Feisty and used it to install 32-bit Swiftfox and all 32-bit plugins for swiftfox, flash
works but no sound.  Finally I tried firing up all versions of Firefox (64-bit and
32-bit) and the 32-bit swiftfox from command line hoping the command line would show
some errors.  It did.  I get the following two errors over and over about every second,
when the error appears it makes my flash video skip a little.  First I get the can't
open shared library and immediately after that is the invalid value for card error.  The
Shared library /usr/lib/alsa-lib/libasound_module_pcm_pulse.so does exist, it looks like
this is installed via the libasound2-plugins package.  I have also tried installing the
libflashsupport package but this is a 32-bit only package and doesn't install on 64-bit.
 So I tried copying the libflashsupport.so file from a 32-bit system into the plugins
directory of all browsers and still flash plays, but no sound.  I have seen similar
posts regarding this particular sound module on google and have tried any suggestions I
found there as well, but still no luck.

ALSA lib ../../../src/pcm/pcm.c:2105:(snd_pcm_open_conf) Cannot open shared library
/usr/lib/alsa-lib/libasound_module_pcm_pulse.so

ALSA lib ../../../src/pcm/pcm_hw.c:1351:(_snd_pcm_hw_open) Invalid value for card

Any help would be appreciated.  I have messed with so many things now I am probably
going to rebuild the machine and start from scratch (not fun).  But I would like to get
this figured out before hand so I don't just mess up another install.  Also the server
does not have a sound card installed, so the only place I can test from is on a client.

Oh, I also tried configuring firefox and plugins as a local app, but I ran into speed
issues with firefox starting up (takes 2 minutes or so to start) so I haven't even
gotten to flash troubleshooting yet.

Jim Kronebusch
Cotter Tech Department
453-5188