new education team - please explore

Jim Hutchinson jim at ubuntu-rocks.org
Mon Jul 9 21:31:32 BST 2007

Jim C.,

I'm forwarding this to a few people that may be able to add insight. I don't
know if they are on the regular distribution list (sorry guys if you are).

Anyway, I don't know if I can add much to the discussion, but I have a
couple thoughts re your concern over getting schools to switch to oss. I
agree it will not be easy, but i think oss has a lot to offer and over time
schools will begin to see that. You are somewhat unfortunate that you have
specific hardware that is not currently supported in Linux. Now that you are
moving to Linux you can keep that in mind for future hardware purchases. It'
s possible you might also be able to put out a call to the community and see
if anyone can add the support you need.

Another possible option that may be open to you is to set up a windows
terminal server. I don't think these work well with more than about 8
clients (anyone want to correct that if I'm wrong) but with your current 4
it should work.

Sorry, I can't be much help. Hopefully someone else can add some insight.

Jim H.