How to globally change menu/toolbars

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Thu Jul 5 20:23:44 BST 2007

Well I have been hacking away on this for a few days now, which I am sure isn't helping
much.  Anyhow here is the contents of my /etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults/%gconf-tree.xml:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<gconf>
        <dir name="apps">
                <dir name="panel">
                        <dir name="default_setup">
                                <dir name="applets">
                                        <dir name="notification_area">
                                        </dir>
                                </dir>
                        </dir>
                        <dir name="global">
                        </dir>
                </dir>
                <dir name="gconf-editor">
                </dir>
        </dir>
        <dir name="desktop">
                <dir name="gnome">
                        <dir name="peripherals">
                                <dir name="keyboard">
                                        <dir name="kbd">
                                        </dir>
                                </dir>
                        </dir>
                </dir>
        </dir>
</gconf>

This seems a little sparse compared to what you found, and I think the only reason it
has anything is from me messing with the gconf-editor defaults.  I had found similar
files in /usr/share/gconf/defaults/05_panel-default-setup.entries and in
/usr/share/gconf/schemas/panel-default-setup.entries.  I had tried removing similar
entries in those files and adding a new user, no effect.  Pessulus seems to open up the
"Lockdown Editor" which has minimal options, most of which are to simply enable/disable
editing of menus and settings.  I have also tried gconf-editor, this seems to allow me
to make many changes and set as mandatory or default, but it does not allow me to remove
anything.

So I am still lost as to what to do.  At least I feel better that my dirty hacks on the
/usr/share/gconf files wasn't too far off of what I should be able to do.

Any other ideas? /var/lib/gconf/debian.defaults/%gconf-tree.xml seems to have similar
settings as well.

On Thu, 5 Jul 2007 16:51:46 +0100, Gavin McCullagh wrote

Jim Kronebusch
Cotter Tech Department
453-5188