Removal of application prompts remove of Edubuntu-Desktop

Jordan Mantha mantha at ubuntu.com
Tue Jul 3 21:13:15 BST 2007

On Tue Jul 03, 2007 at 03:08:35PM -0500, Jim Kronebusch wrote:
> Say I try and remove a default application such as gaim, I am then prompted that this
> will also remove edubuntu-desktop as in the example below:
>
> testing at ltsp:~$ sudo apt-get remove gaim
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
>   gnome-cups-manager
> Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>   edubuntu-desktop gaim nautilus-sendto
> 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 3 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
> Need to get 0B of archives.
> After unpacking 6177kB disk space will be freed.
> Do you want to continue [Y/n]?
>
> Does this mean that the entire edubuntu-desktop and all involved applications will be
> removed?  Or does this simply mean that I will no longer have the compete
> edubuntu-desktop but all other applications will remain?

It will just remove the edubuntu-desktop metapackage, which is a package
that depends on all the other packages that define the Edubuntu desktop.
It's used primarily in installation and upgrading from one release to
another. You can safely remove it but if you plan on upgrading to a new
release by using the Update Manager rather than a fresh installation you
will probably want to reinstall edubuntu-desktop first.

-Jordan