Is 4GB the max on a 32 bit OS?

Gavin McCullagh gmccullagh at gmail.com
Sun Jan 21 23:48:19 GMT 2007

Hi,

On Thu, 18 Jan 2007, Scott Ledyard wrote:

> So, as a practical matter, if we're trying to setup a lab of 24 workstations
> that may all be surfing with Firefox or learning Open Office Word at the
> same time, would it be best to:

I would hope that the ~3.5GB ram would be enough for 24 users.  Edubuntu
quoates (I think?) 40 users per 4GB RAM server.

> 1) Install the AMD 64 bit version
> 2) Setup a custom kernel
> 3) Setup additional server(s)

I guess if you really run out of RAM any of the above might be reasonable
approaches.  [1] might have some drawbacks in terms of availablility of
some proprietary software (eg the adobe flash plugin). But my guess is that
3.5GB should be enough for normal applications.  Make sure you have a
server with good disks too (preferably scsi) and a dual cpu if at all
possible.